Innovation Technology Cluster in Zheleznogorsk (Krasnoyarsk Krai)
- Spatial Development
- Clusters & Cluster Policy
- Current project
- Group of projects
- 2011 – until present
In accordance with the adopted long-term strategy the mission of the city of Zheleznogorsk is to become the innovative development center of Krasnoyarsk Krai, securing Russia’s global technological superiority in aerospace industry and in the nuclear technology sphere (closing the nuclear fuel cycle and radiology), creating new jobs in innovative sectors and improving the standard of living in the city.
The decision to establish the cluster was taken at the meeting of the "Nuclear Technology" task force of the Commission for Modernization and Technological Development of Russia's Economy under the RF President in the spring of 2011.
“The core enterprises in the cluster will be the clients commissioning innovation: Information Satellite Systems spacecraft manufacturer, nuclear Mining and Chemical Plant and Semiconductor Silicon Plant. The cluster participants will also include an industrial park, a technology transfer center and a research and education center”.
(Deputy Krasnoyarsk Krai Governor Andrei Gnezdilov, source: i-russia.ru).
The Council of the Zheleznogorsk Innovation Cluster of Nuclear and Space Technologies was set up within the framework of the activities of the Nuclear Technology task force of the Commission for Modernization and Technological Development of Russia's Economy under the RF President.
In July 2011 Igor Borovkov, Chief of Staff of the Military-Industrial Commission under the Government of the Russian Federation - Deputy Chief of the Government Staff, became head of the Council of the Zheleznogorsk Innovation Cluster.
In June 2012 the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation decided to include the Innovation Technology Cluster in Zheleznogorsk, Krasnoyarsk Krai, in the list of pilot projects to receive subsides from federal budget of the regions of the Russian Federation where the clusters where located.
According to the decision taken at the first meeting of the Council of the Cluster on 19 August 2011 the Center for Strategic Research «North-West» became the project participant as the Acting Secretariat of the Council of the Cluster.
The task of the Secretariat is to organize and conduct events related to establishment of the cluster, its operation and elaboration of the program for development of the Zheleznogorsk Innovation Cluster, including
- to ensure compliance of the cluster creation process to methodologies approved by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation;
- to contribute to creation of management and coordination bodies of the cluster: specialized committees, working groups, etc.;
- to provide organizational support to the cluster operation;
- to organize the process and participate in elaboration of the general development program of the cluster;
- to identify cluster development targets;
- to coordinate and to participate in elaboration of cluster development subprograms;
Within the first stage of development in the period of 2012-2015 ZATO Zheleznogorsk Innovation Technology Cluster implemented a number of important projects and activities, including:
- Launch of “Nickel-63”, the first joint engineering and production project of the core enterprises of the cluster
- Creation of unique innovative infrastructure in ZATO Zheleznogorsk - from establishment of engineering classes and the Innovation Center for Youth Creativity to construction of the Industrial Park and the regional engineering center
- Formation of a communication platform for the cluster: five international Innovation Forums were held in ZATO in Zheleznogorsk, including events for young people and children: the Engineering Salon, the Robotech, and the Innovative Breakthrough
In September 2016 the CSR "North-West" on request from the Association for Economic Cooperation "ZATO Zheleznogorsk Innovation Technology Cluster” and with the support provided by Rosatom State Nuclear Corporation elaborated a strategy for development of the Cluster until 2020. According to the document, the next development stage of ZATO Zheleznogorsk Innovation Technology Cluster is aimed at achieving world leadership in the design of satellite communications and nuclear safety systems and national leadership in the new industrial platform focused on global markets for new technologies and National Technology Initiative priorities.
In order to achieve the aim it is planned to expand the territory of the Cluster and to form an additional core in Krasnoyarsk: to add some of Krasnoyarsk largest high-tech enterprises, including Krastsvetmet and NPP Radiosvyaz, to the Cluster participants.
The main goals set up within the framework of the strategy implementation are as follows:
- to expand the areas of the cluster's technology specialization, to ensure the scale and the balance between investment and innovation growth;
- to set up production chains from R&D to mass production, to provide them with the necessary infrastructure and services;
- to develop efficient investment and legal system for cooperation between large technology companies and small and medium-sized businesses in joint R & D projects and projects within the framework of public-private partnership;
- to develop the science, technology and innovation ecosystem, aimed at the growth of entrepreneurship and export-oriented high-tech companies;
- to involve children and young people in engineering and innovation activities;
- to concentrate resources on the Krasnoyarsk Krai new economy projects.
The new strategy of the cluster was developed as part of preparing and applying for participation in the competitive selection of innovative clusters – world-class leaders in investment attractiveness. 11 clusters selected by the RF Ministry of Economic Development out of 22 applicants will be provided with assistance in using various support measures from the Ministry and other agencies and development institutions. ZATO Zheleznogorsk Innovation Technology Cluster has joined the ranks of the leaders under the new name – the Yenisei Technopoilis Krasnoyarsk Krai Innovative Cluster.