State and prospects of food industry cluster in the Leningrad region
- Spatial Development
- Clusters & Cluster Policy
- Completed project
Customer: Committee for Economic Development and Investment Activity of the Leningrad region
Developer: Center for Strategic Research “North-West” Foundation
Project aim: To update the government Program for Development of Agriculture in the Leningrad region approved by the Resolution of the Leningrad Oblast Government No. 463 dated December 29, 2012 in terms of the cluster approach, to identify measures aimed at stimulating development of the food industry cluster in the Leningrad region with due regard to government priorities of import substitution and innovative technology development.
- To conduct comprehensive analysis of the food industry market in regional, national and global perspective, to identify the need for products / technologies, to estimate the demand for products and services of the cluster for the medium and long term perspective;
- To analyze trends driving value chains development in the sector of the cluster positioning in the region. To identify deficient links in the chain;
- To identify the cluster members, to assess the current state of the organizations participating in the cluster, to specify the level of their cooperation and evaluate the export potential of the cluster. To analyze the production and technological basis for the cluster formation;
- To analyze current measures of government support for food industry in the Russian Federation, to analyze the international experience in provision of government support;
- To analyze advanced technologies in food production, the active use of which can contribute to the development of the cluster and the region;
- To perform assessment of enterprises in the Oblast in respect to modernization and to make suggestions on establishment of new enterprises, innovative infrastructure facilities, development of small technology companies
- To create a model for cluster formation and development;
- To identify the structure of the cluster, including the boundaries of the cluster, the core of the cluster and the necessary infrastructure;
- To create the cluster management system.
The research resulted in preparation of the Concept and the Program for Development of the Food Industry Cluster in the Leningrad region, which included:
• optimal model and structure for formation of the cluster,
• priority directions for the cluster development,
• the most attractive market segments,
• the list of pilot cluster projects.